Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Placemats

 My best friend needed some new placemats. She is one of those people I love making things for because she really appreciates it and the set I made her a few years back are frayed at the edges from having been used so much - I love that!
Coming up with ideas for placemats is always a bit difficult for me, for some reason. Making a bed sized quilt: no problem. Making a table setting sized one: a challenge! And then you have to make at least three more...
Pinterest to the rescue, and I found some quarter log cabin ones I had pinned earlier for inspiration. The dark blue fabric with houses would do nicely as a backing fabric and I used that as a starting point for my fabric selection.
I chose some houses and trees and supporting fabrics from Sweetwater's line Road 15, added some map and landscape motifs from other series and used some blue/grey to tie it all together. Straight(ish) quilting lines and blue binding and some late night sewing and I was finished just in time. The only thing I didn't get to do was to take some daylight photos. But it is January, the days are short and I was pressed for time, so this will have to do. She loved them, though and that's the most important thing!

2 comments :

Tine said...

These are great! I bet your friend will appreciate them very much :-)
I am working on presents too, placemats is a good idea. To overcome the "I have to make at least 4" obstacle (which I can totally relate to!), maybe make one big quilted piece and cut it up into placemats? I think that's what I'll do....

mathea said...

That's a great idea - I'll keep that in mind until the next time I need to make placemats!