Monday, July 06, 2009

Mini quilt Monday

Look! A new mini quilt, and on a Monday too! Well at least I finished it today, although the top has been ready for a while. It is the result of a workshop a while ago, and started out as a purple and cream nine-patch with teal borders and after some clever cutting, twisting of blocks and restitching we ended up with these little windmills. I think I might have to try making another one to remember how I did it...
Anyway, I eventually got round to layering and quilting it, using my version of the escape-hatch method so I didn't have to bother with binding. My version differs from the one Melody uses in that I make the backing of two pieces of fabric which I stitch together, leaving an opening in the middle instead of cutting an opening. I find this works well for small table toppers, -runners and the like. This one is 13 x 13", by the way. I quilted the windmills in a spiralling pattern to create an illusion of movement. I used a purple and teal variegated thread. Here's a close-up of the quilting.
Added later: the pattern is actually called Square Dance, and here is a description of how you do it.

1 comment :

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

how did you do it?
i want to make one of these!!