Saturday, January 17, 2009

Autumn window revisited

The thing about tidying up is that you tend to unearth something you'd almost forgotten about. Remember this? There it was in a heap of unfinished objects, covered in fabric leaves stuck down with pins all over the place - so that's why my pin tin was almost empty!
After quilting all the sunflower blocks this morning, I went back to this and started stitching the leaves on. An do you know: it didn't really take all that long! I've also added some thin branches and twigs to fill in the open areas, and then some random green curls, because once I wash away the stabilizer (the white background) there needs to be something to hold the open areas together.
I think I'll add some small stitched leaves as well, but that will have to wait until tomorrow - my sewing machine and my back both deserve a rest. Hm, wonder what happens once I dunk it in the sink? We'll see tomorrow. I only hope I can get it to lie flat, and I will have to come up with some kind of hanging device. A traditional sleeve won't do on this one as the stitching is so dense on the frame that it will be agony to try to hand stitch it to the back.
Maybe I could use a branch to hang it from?

1 comment :

Tine said...

It is absolutely gorgeous!!! What do you think of the stabilizer? Is it like sewing things with regular fusible stabilizer, is it thick or thin??
The window is fantastic! And you have added so many leaves and branches that it'll look amazing once you remove the stabilizer :) How to hang it??? No idea! I like the idea of hanging it from a brach :)