Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Old quilt - new picture

I visited my sister last Sunday, and took the opportunity to snap a few pics of the quilt I made for her some years back. I didn't have a good photo of it anywhere, so I just had to try again. Taking a picture of a large quilt in a small room isn't easy though, and there was no way I could get the whole thing in one go. Still, you get to see the star blocks, which was what I needed to share the pattern with my guild anyway. You might notice some grey spots here and there:.that's cat's hair - proving that cats will find a way to snooze on your quilt no matter where you place it...
Here's some scetches from EQ. I started with a layout of squares and triangles where I placed the colours in a rainbow sequence. Not very original, of course, but it works in nature, so why not in a quilt?
Then I substituted stars and snowballs for the squares and triangles, but kept the colours. In order to make this work, I had to split some stars diagonally using two sets of colours in each block - half green/half yellow for instance. I love the simplicity of the star blocks combined with snowball blocks, leaving large plain areas to show off your quilting and the changing angles that fools the eye into seeing curved lines.
The Quilter's Cache calls the star block "Garden patch variation" - but I haven't been able to find it by that name elsewhere. There is a similar block with a four patch centre and also one with a plain square in the centre (like the small stars I have used in the corners), but I would really like to find some more examples of quilts using "my block" to illustrate my article. If you know any, or any other names used for this block, please let me know!

2 comments :

Jo Raines said...

This is gorgeous! I love the colors on white and your piecing looks perfect. I know your sister cherishes this!

*karendianne. said...

Wow! This is amazing. Eye-catching to say the LEAST!

*karendianne.